FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Right Intention: Mark Steyn On Iraqi Elections

Monday, January 31, 2005

Mark Steyn On Iraqi Elections

Mark Steyn does it again:

...but, even so, it surely couldn't be true that the Spaniards so objected to the Iraqi election that they were protesting about it...

...But nevertheless there they were, prosperous, well-dressed Spaniards waving placards showing US missiles and dollar bills going into the ballot box and noisily objecting to the fraud of a so-called election held under American occupation.

Given the fact that the voters of Baghdad and Basra and Kirkuk showed the cojones the Spaniards failed to last March, you'd think those protesters would have been less careless about reminding us that the terrorists got a much better election result out of the Spanish electorate than they did from the Iraqis.


Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

Like a four-year-old child, the media were so distracted by bright colours and loud noises that they missed the real story. Set fire to a second-hand Nissan and they send a camera crew round to take pretty pictures of the big plume of smoke rising up in the sky.

Mark is being too kind. I'm more cynical about media coverage. I don't believe that the MSM reported only violence because it sells. I believe the unrelenting negative coverage has just as much to do with a concerted effort to undermine support for the war. The left seems obsessed with re-living their glory days of helping us lose Vietnam.

If Theo van Gogh hadn't been killed, he'd doubtless already be working on Submission Part Two, a short film set backstage at a European film festival about a Western culture so reflexively craven that nothing can rouse it to defend itself. Submission Part Three will be about the first Muslim woman to have her unemployment benefit cut for refusing a job as dominatrix in a Frankfurt bondage dungeon.

The Western media might want to rethink their basic narrative: the Iraqi people just took a great leap forward. It's Europe that's looking more like an unwinnable quagmire.


That's my view.




19 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Over 8 million people turned out to vote -- stood in line - defied the terrorists. I believe I heard from 29 to 36 people died. The terrorists could only get to that many -- they couldn't turn away 8 million people. Their power is going away me thinks.

9:29 PM  
Blogger jon said...

After we paid for our kids jewish summer camp we found it tough to recover! I totally agree with you!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Get-A-Free-House said...

How would you like to own a custom-built house at a 42% to 100% discount? Find out how today by visiting Get-A-Free-House.com

7:32 AM  
Blogger ebgcommute said...

Hey, good stuff!
I have a improve credit score site. It pretty much covers improve credit score related stuff.
Check it out later :-)

5:34 PM  
Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a airline dallas ticket
It deals mostly with airline dallas ticket plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

7:12 AM  
Blogger freestuff2 said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a tampa airport
It deals mostly with tampa airport plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

9:51 AM  
Blogger heropoo said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my bank loan related site. It pretty much covers bank loan stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Online Incomes said...

Nice blog, keep up the good work!
I have a blog/site toocountrywide home equity loan
It's a free information site on on home equity loans and refinancing. It can help you save money if you are in the market for a loan.
You should check it out if you have the time :-)

6:51 PM  
Blogger heropoo said...

We had been blogging trying to find how our world sees credit card. It has been a lifeline for us. Your site provides some of the best examples of this sort and we will bookmark yours. Another one we found was and appears to be related to yours is credit card site/blog. It pretty much covers credit card related stuff.

7:43 AM  
Blogger startonline said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going.

This may be of interest to you... I have a credit card bills web portal. It pretty much covers credit card bills stuff.

I'll be sure to come back.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
Las Vegas
Thanks

12:01 AM  
Blogger Adult Personals said...

hey i got here searching for fast easy personal loan

You have such a high ranking for that
Top 3 for fast easy personal loan

fast easy personal loan

2:35 PM  
Blogger sdRay said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love peterbilt show truck then you will want to be there! All kinds of peterbilt show truck will be in attendance. For more information go to peterbilt show truck
See Ya There!!

1:55 AM  
Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

Another abortion borough clinic somerville Resource... LifeLaw.org . A discussion forum for all that deals with such hot-button issues as abortion borough clinic somerville .

8:11 AM  
Blogger hplauze said...

Well this blog certainly is not about att card credit universal. What the heck! I guess the internet can play some tricks on us sometimes. I have been on-line for two hours
researching att card credit universal and came tumbling across your blog. I LOVE IT! I needed a break from att card credit universal anyways :-) If you don't mind I want to add your
blog to my favorites list so I can come back later on and read some more stuff. Well I guess I should get back to researching att card credit universal.
Even though my search is not on Mark Steyn On Iraqi Elections I am glad I came across your blog. Keep blogging away!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

What a great blog. Wish there were more like this.

las vegas apartment

2:08 AM  
Blogger GS said...

Hey here is a site that actually gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other useful information regarding Las Vegas getaways and Barbara and Frank tickets Check it out Barbara and Frank tickets

8:06 PM  
Blogger Rebek said...

Well this blog certainly is not about cord blood company . What the heck! I guess the internet can play some tricks on us sometimes. I have been on-line for two hours
researching cord blood company and came tumbling across your blog. I LOVE IT! I needed a break from cord blood company anyways :-) If you don't mind I want to add your
blog to my favorites list so I can come back later on and read some more stuff. Well I guess I should get back to researching cord blood company .
Even though my search is not on Mark Steyn On Iraqi Elections I am glad I came across your blog. Keep blogging away!

9:53 AM  
Blogger GPS Systems said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a magellan gps system site/blog. It pretty much covers magellan gps system related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home